Wednesday, October 26, 2011

A Look Back: Quinn's birth story

I did this for Roman so I would not forget his birth story. And my life is all the more hectic, so here goes. Reader beware: I left out the gory details but it is still a birth story.

Let's see, I don't know how much detail to include, I will try and keep it PG. I had been having false contractions every evening for about a week, but I knew it was close. My due date was about a week away, but Roman came a little early too. It was a Friday and Thom asked if he should stay home from work that morning. I told him no, as I wasn't positive it was for real labor yet. I had been timing contractions all morning. And they seemed to be coming more frequently. When Thom called at his lunch break he asked again if he should come home. Well I still wasn't convinced since the contractions were as close together as 4 minutes, they still weren't super regular, some as far apart as 10 minutes, and not really painful. But I told him I would feel better if he was closeby, so he decided to head home, but not before he picked me up a Chicken Finger sub. Hey! Last time I was at the hospital for almost 2 days with nothing to eat!

I called my OB/GYN when he got home and asked what I should do and explained about my contractions. She said to head over to Labor and Delivery and she would call to let them know I was coming. But not before I finished my sub :)

By the time we got to the hospital I was convinced I was having real contractions, as they had turned a more uncomfortable, and that "hot" feeling down in my abdomen. But still I felt as though I had plenty of time to spare. So Thom had called from work around noon and we were at the hospital by 3pm. There was an open room and after a quick exam they informed me I was already 6cm along! Six centimeters?? I couldn't believe I was that far dilated already with no major pain. So obviously I was admitted right away. Probably an hour after I arrived I was given an epidural as I was steadily progressing and the anesthesiologist was available at that moment and I was planning on having one. After my experience with Roman (I was having horrific back labor and the anesthesiologist was called into surgery, I didn't want a repeat. I feel like I never had hard labor with Quinn! The first 8cm was a breeze and I had an epi after that. Unfortunately it wore off by the time I felt ready to push. I think I metabolize the drugs weird because they had to give me 2 with Roman as the first didn't take. This time, it wore off after only a little while.

Meanwhile, nurses and doctors were filtering in and out, making jokes and comments about "yay, she's a 2nd timer" and "you wont be here long", but for most of the time Thom and I were alone. Thom was so happy and excited things were progressing so easily he was literally dancing around the delivery room. My nurse asked about my first delivery and after telling her I only pushed for less than 30 minutes, and Roman was my first AND he was posterior, surprised, she made some comment about having a catchers mitt for this one.

Contractions had stayed strong even after the epi, they had gotten up to 1 and half minutes in between all on their own! The nurse even got a little nervous after I got two quick ones in a row, apparently Quinn did not like that, the nurse had to adjust the fetal monitor.  She made a comment about 'no pitocin' because things were happening fast. I was sooo happy not to have pitocin. I think pitocin and Roman's position made for terrible painful back labor and I was happy not to go through that again. My water even broke on it's own which was a first for me, and I knew things would speed up quickly. By the time I felt the need to push the epidural had all but worn off entirely. The doctor was called in and he was dressed in a suit and tie, and went to leave to go change his clothes, and the nurse was trying to convince him otherwise because she thought it would be fast. Thom said he looked at the clock and it was about 7:50 when the doctor left to change, he was back quickly I asked for something for the pain but was informed it was too late and Quinn was born at 8:01. I couldn't believe it, it all went so fast! Quinn was 7lbs 13oz and 20 inches long.

I cherish both my kids birth, with Roman the labor part was so difficult, qith Quinn it was much more a painful delivery but was an amazing experience to feel her without being so numb. She was with us for about 2 hours before she had to go to nursery. Calm and wide awake the entire time. Thom and I were mostly left alone with her, which was wonderful. She slept sooooooo much at the hospital, just like Roman they had to wake her to feed. I was told by my nurse that I was getting more sleep than any of the other moms by far. That was really good, Thom stayed with Roman the 2nd night, so I actually got a lot of rest and we all went home a new family of FOUR!

3 comments:

  1. Aw! i love thinking back to when Dom was born, it's such an awesome experience! altho, i cringe at the thought of pushing out a baby with no epidural... props to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have to do this on my blog... I haven't gotten up the nerve to type it out yet. So glad you had such an enjoyable experience! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, I love reading birth stories (yeah that does sound weird), so would love to hear yours both

    ReplyDelete